Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The time has come!

Well dearest friends and family, the time has come for me to leave URS Portland and start my new life at URS Melbourne Australia. This last week here has been exciting and nerve racking. I have sold my car, printed out the visa, cleaned my office, deleted years of old emails, made CD roms of more electronic data than I probably will need. On Wednesday Phyllis and I went and had a pedicure. It was my first and what a experience. For the guys out there that haven't had one you should go. For Laurie Wrobleski EEEWWW someone touch my feet! On Thursday the Portland URS office had a catered lunch for my departure. It was very kind of them. These people here have been my coworkers for over 13 years and many of them have become family along the way. Today is Friday my last day in this office. Over the weekend I have some more errands to run and some luggage to pack.

On Monday I will go get my drivers license renewed, stop by Sprint to have my phone shut off, Hopefully stop in the office one more time to say good by and then it off to the airport. Some friends are meeting me there about 2pm. My plane leaves Portland at 5pm PST. I arrive at LAX around 7:30pm. Then the big flight takes off at 11:45pm. Arriving in Melbourne at 8am Wednesday morning. The company recruiter, Russell Chapman, will meet me at the airport and take me to the company apartment. At noon that day I have a 90 minute massage scheduled. Beyond that my first goal is to get a cell phone and start looking for an Internet connection so I can look for an apartment. I don't start work until Tuesday August 19th. Which will be Monday evening for everyone here in the states. Melbourne is 17 hour ahead of the west coast. So 3pm PST is 8am the next day there. Once I have found that Internet connection I will be able to check my URS email and the blog. I'll try to do an update in those first few days if possible.


I want to say thanks to everyone in Portland for 16 years of great memories and friendship.

I want to say thanks to my family for being so supportive of my big move even though I know they wish I was moving closer to them, not farther away.


I also want to invite everyone reading this to PLEASE come visit me. I can't promise 5 star accommodations but you're all more than welcome. My visa is good until July of 2012 so start planning those trips.

2 comments:

Sassy Pumpkins said...

Sending big big hugs Bri and wishing you all the best for your new adventure! It's difficult moving to a new country but it's also extremely exciting! We look forward to seeing you down under when we are next there...one bit of advice for you though, if you see any birds on the ground that look like they are dying...DON'T pick them up, the Lorikeets get drunk and fall out of the trees in the summer when the fruit is fermenting...and like all of us who get drunk, they have a nasty hangover and grumpy disposition when they wake up the next day! LOL Sounds like I'm joking, but trust me, I'm not, they really do get drunk and occasionally fall off the tree branches!*grin*
Stay safe and enjoy every minute of this adventure!! I can't wait to hear all about it...you've got my number, go ahead and call collect, I get free calls to Oz! Love and miss you loads!
Love & Hugs,
Shelley xx

Meg said...

I admire your risk-taking sense of adventure! Yes, I will come to Australia and you and I can see the sites. perhaps, we can play some sax duets, too.