Monday, January 4, 2010

Christams in OZ

It’s hard to believe that Christmas is here again. The long warm sunny days don’t feel like Christmas at all. But I guess I’ll get used to that in years to come. I’m easing back into the holiday season a little more this year by cooking a small dinner and exchanging gifts with my Australian friends.


But let us begin at the office on Christmas Eve. I had a VERY busy morning with 3 projects that just had to get finished before the long holiday break. I coined a new phrase that the project managers would just have to deal with by telling them “Santa doesn’t work here and you’re not getting everything you want for Christmas!” (Feel free to use that one next year Ruth and P, I’m sure Mark will appreciate it!) I managed to complete enough to keep them all happy and get the deliverables sent out. In the afternoon the office had a sausage sizzle. Basically, flavoured hotdogs cooked on the grill out on our patio. But all the kids came into the office and even Santa reared his hairy face for a little while. I escaped before he came. Leaving the office about 2pm and getting paid until 5. Now that’s a nice holiday gift from the office.

Once at home I ran to the store to pick up some things for the dinner I was making. I made a small ham in the crock pot along with some baked potatoes and a fresh green salad for my flatmate, Michael and my boyfriend Iral. Christmas morning Iral and I exchanged gifts. He got me a collapsible bucket for camping, a nice pen set, some cuff links and a alarm clock that projects the time on to the ceiling at night. I got him the movie Bruno a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper (yes I turned him on to it) and a gift certificate to his favourite store, David Jones. (It’s like Nordstroms). I got a few other things from home too. Phyllis sent me a care package of things like grape jelly an Oregon calendar and some hazelnut chocolates. My mom sent me some much needed bed linens and Michael bought me 2 tickets to the gay pride T dance on the 17th of January. It’s a outdoor dance party with about 3,000 people. I didn’t go last year and have heard it’s a lot of fun so I’m looking forward to it.

Christmas day Iral and I took a drive to Lake Eildon National Park about 2 hours northeast of the city. We spent the afternoon lounging by the lake side on a blanket after a picnic lunch. Then we waded in the water for a little while before doing dome 4x4. In the evening we went to one of his 4 sister’s house for Christmas dinner of raw oysters, cooked jumbo prawns, spring rolls and Asian noodles. Most Australians celebrate with a bbq since it’s so warm and nice at this time of year. Iral’s family is from the Philippines so that’s where the menu varies from what you and I are used to having. We spent most of the time singing karaoke with his mom, sister Susan (our host), and niece Nadine. Iral and Nadine have beautiful voices while Susan and I croaked out a few lines here and there. It was a lot of fun and the first time I’ve ever done karaoke completely sober!

On Saturday the 26th we did a little shopping and then had drinks at Max and David’s house in the afternoon. Sunday the 27th we took a ride on Iral’s motorcycle out into the countryside. I’ve ridden with him 3 times now and am getting past the fear of death I had on the first ride. Although on our way home he got on the freeway and did 130 kph (80 mph) for a short stretch and I just put my head down and prayed. Don’t worry mom. I wear a helmet, leather jacket, boots and gloves while I’m on the back and trust me I hang on to Iral like his life depends upon it! He can tell when I’m nervous by how tight I’m holding on to him. He wants me to get my motorcycle licence and buy a bike but I just don’t see that happening anytime soon! LOL.... I’m too old to die stupidly I hope!

On Monday the 28th we had scheduled a hot air balloon ride over Melbourne but some low clouds that morning cancelled the trip and we had to reschedule it for January 26th, Australia Day.

On the 29th we left for Cairns for 6 nights but you’ll hear more about that trip in my next blog update.

I hope everyone’s Christmas was wonderful! Brian

No comments: